Monday, June 13, 2016

Orlando Temple Trip

Greetings

It's been a super long week, soo much stuff has happened it feels like last pday was a month ago. But in a good way you know? 

On Tuesday we had a really good district meeting, we all set a goal to set a baptismal date for July 9th and -BOOM- not even 12 hours later our district had 3 dates set!! Elder Barnes and I also had a super cool experience as we were role playing for one of his investigators. So it was a pretty normal role-play, I gave him some feedback and tips and such and then they went to go teach this guy later that day, did exactly what we did in the roleplay and they ended up setting a baptismal date with him! It was definitely a testimony builder in role plays for me haha. 

On Tuesday we also had about a thousand and three set appointments and a bunch of them unfortunately fell through, but we still had a crazy busy and productive day. Wednesday was like the exact opposite of Tuesday we had nothing going on and so we did a lot of finding. We did have one really good lesson with the excommunicated member that we have been working with. He still has a lot of questions but he has such real intent it's pretty inspiring. He has read half the Book of Mormon in the past 2 weeks, however he understands that getting rebaptized would probably result in him getting a divorce. Pray for Mike!!

On Thursday I got to go to the Orlando Temple which was amazing!! It had been so long since I've gone and I feel like I learned so much. When I first went through the temple I had such a rudimentary knowledge of the scriptures and the gospel, but the depth of my understanding really made the experience so much more powerful. I also got to see a lot of the great friends that I've made on my mission for the last time in a year. It was definitely the highlight of the week. 

Saturday night we had transfer calls and we found out that Elder Smith is getting transferred out and I'll be staying here. My new companion's name is Elder Call, I don't know much about him but I know he has been out for 6 months and he is coming from the Gainesville YSA. It should be a good transfer. Definitely sad to have Elder Smith leave me he has been a good one. 

Sunday was a good day. The Bishop got released last week as he is moving and it was his last week in J-Ville so he had us and the sisters over for dinner which was fun. After that we went tracting and nobody would talk to us until we knocked on Tamy's door... Oh Tamy. She was acting all innocent and pretended to sincerely want to know the difference between us "and Christians" so we start trying to teach her a basic restoration and she interrupts us (this will become a common thing) and says that she actually had a book that tells a bit about all the different denominations and so she goes inside and gets this book that is full of anti-mormon material. At the end she made us pray with her and she prayed that she would find the truth. I was praying in my head for her, and in this moment I realized that I had not had any charity for this woman in our conversation. As soon as she started whipping the anti out I stopped viewing her as someone that was on my side, a child of God, and I started viewing her as the enemy. Tamy, as annoying as she is, is not the enemy. Satan is the enemy and I needed to be focused on fighting him and loving Tamy. I was praying a lot about it late at night and as I repented I felt like I needed to go back and apologize and try to explain to her with true charity in my heart. It's going to be interesting haha. Hopefully I'll have some positive news el oh el. 

This experience has made me think a lot about charity. I really identified with Paul when he says,

"1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Essentially no matter how well I know the gospel, no matter how eloquently I can explain the restoration, Plan of Salvation and everything else it won't matter if I don't love those I meet and teach (even if they are throwing anti in my face). 

Anyways I hope everyone is doing well and remember to have charity :^)

Elder Olson


The District

Orlando Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment