Monday, January 11, 2016

Productive Days + Sick Days = Even Steven

Hellooo,

This week I've been pretty sick which has been a bummer. I started getting sick on Thursday so we only really did real missionary work from Monday to Wednesday which was no fun.

Monday was pretty average, just a classic day of playing bball at the church and stuff. In the evening we were knocking doors in this more humble neighbourhood and like 3 cops went and arrested this lady across the street and she was freaking out, haha we went tracting on a different street after that. 

Tuesday was really awesome!! In the morning we had zone meeting which was really great. It was just very spiritual and they talked about a lot of things that I realized I had been lacking on. One thing was really focusing our vision on teaching repentance and preparing people to be baptized. I kinda realized that my vision had been focused on just doing really good work, instead of actually helping people repent and be baptized. They also had some pretty big announcements, with things that are going to be changing. The main thing is that we aren't allowed to have transfer meeting anymore, which is kind of a bummer, but I'm glad that there are going to be changes in the mission just cause it will make us all kind of readjust and should help us all grow more. Our mission also set a goal of 380 baptisms as a mission which is sweet! That averages out to 4 baptisms per companionship so it should be good. On Tuesday evening we had a really good lesson with this media referral, Vickie, and we invited her to be baptized! She is awesome, she is just so willing and she believes everything we tell her and we have very spiritual lessons with her. She is in a very humble situation though, so we will have to see how much real intent is there haha. 

Wednesday was also an amazing day!!! It hardly seemed real we were teaching up a storm, it was by far the most productive day of my mission. We were visiting people that we originally met before the holidays and following up with them and we were so blessed!! We taught like 7 lessons and got 3 new investigators in one day, which would usually we like 2-3 days worth of work. We were just having such a good start to our week it didn't even seem real... And then Thursday came and I got sick haha.

So basically we feel that the Lord was blessing us by making up all the time that we missed for the rest of the week. 

So Thursday through Sunday I was sick, and we just slept and read scriptures and watched church movies all day everyday. I'm pretty sick of Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration haha. It was pretty brutal just sitting around all day, we felt so useless. 

This morning I went and saw a doctor and she told me that I had a sinus infection and that my right ear had an infection as well. So I got some antibiotics and beefed up cough syrup so I should be good to go from here. 

When I was sick I was reading a talk from another mission president, called the fourth missionary, and he said something that I just loved. What he said was, "You are right now the sum total of what you have thought, said, seen, heard and done. What you think, say, do, hear and see, cause you to change; to change for good or evil; to become either stronger or weaker; to either internalize the qualities of light or the qualities of darkness. You are responsible for who you are and you are responsible for who you will become." I just love how he describes how we can change, and how he shows that its really not that difficult to change. Change is something that I've really learned a lot about on my mission so far. I've felt myself change so much and been able to help others change themselves through the atonement, and I've come to realize that that's what life is all about! It's about making choices that will help us to change to become more and more like our Saviour, and as we make those choices we can find true happiness. Gotta love the simplicity of the gospel. 

Anyways I hope everyone is doing well and has a good week!!

Love,

Elder Olson


Basically the last 4 days

Jax East Zone


No comments:

Post a Comment